Wednesday, July 10, 2013

It's all about me (and food and drink)!

We did lots of food and beverage consumption.  Blogs really must have photos of food and drink to be popular!

Strawberries and Cream - a Wimbledon tradition

We intended to get Strawberries and Cream on the Wimbledon grounds but when we picked up our tickets from Stubhub at a smaller tennis club nearby, they were serving the traditional treat with mimosas on the back deck as part of the hospitality.  Most entertaining was when two English teenage boys dressed in Wimbledon white including headband and wristbands borrowed raquets and played a bit on the courts.

Pim's - a British summer drink
We kept seeing people with trays of this at Wimbledon and I had seen signs outside the pubs announcing that summertime meant Pim's time.  It looked like iced tea to me, with lemon and lime and sometimes orange and apple.  But, it's actually a hard liquor of some sort mixed with club soda maybe and the above fruit.  Very refreshing - I had two at the theater while seeing Mamma Mia.

Fish and Chips
You can't go to London without having Fish and Chips.  We went to the Golden Hind which has been around nearly 100 years and is the favorite of Frank's work colleague, a local Brit.  He knows what he is talking about.  It was a huge plate and I ate it all!

Bitterballen - a Dutch treat
At one of the Amsterdam pubs I saw a plate of these go by.  When I asked the waiter what they were he said they were Bitterballen and he did not know any translation for that word, but they were a traditional Dutch food.  It was a must try.  They were breaded fried balls of ground meat with a thick gravy surrounding the meat served with English mustard.  Very tasty and you gotta love the name!

Dutch Cheese and Meat Tray
We brought home a bunch of Dutch cheese and it's really tasty.  I took a picture of this appetizer tray because I wasn't sure what that "meat" was in the middle (the top is a soft salami.)  I think it was a liver pate type thing - not my favorite.  But, that grainy mustard down the side of the plate was really good.

Fresh Stroopwafel
When were living in Kazakhstan one of Olivia's friends introduced her to stroopwafels.  They are a cookie made of wafers with caramel syrup in between.  Now I get them for her as treats from World Market.  So, we had to bring back stroopwafels for her.  We got some at the grocery store, some at the cheese store and some at this kiosk outside the Rijks museum.  They also served fresh stroopwafels there - Olivia will have to go there someday to experience it hot off the griddle.

My Indonesian friend at the Italian restaurant
This was our waitress at the italian restaurant we found in Amsterdam.  She wanted to take a picture of Frank and I but since it's all about me I made her get in the picture.  Frank says she's trying to kiss me but I think she just put her face very close to mine.

Lastly, we had an OUTSTANDING meal at a Thai restaurant just on the edge of the red light district.  We ate so  much and so fast that there are no pictures.  Frank thought the greatest part of the whole trip was when were trying to find the restaurant and we ended up on a few red light alleyways.  It was early but business was starting up.  I looked to the side at a window and said, "Oh my goodness, there's a woman!"  She was standing in a window and not wearing much and didn't actually realize we had wandered into that area so I was a bit surprised.

No comments: