Friday, February 11, 2011

Mom/Daughter book club

You'd think being a librarian I'd be pretty into book clubs but truthfully I've only been in two.  One was in Singapore where you pretty much had to be selected to join and by the time I got the nod I attended two meetings and then moved. The other was Online Family book club that I started two Christmases ago as a Christmas gift to mom and sisters.  No meetings - just online discussion with a trip to Palm Springs thrown in for fun!  So, Marcy and I were recently asked to join a mother/daughter book club with friends from school.  We've had one very successful meeting with 3 mom/girl pairs.  We read the book Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze by Alan Silberberg.  The mom who started the club knows the author so this added quite a personal touch that will be hard to beat.  We got an email from the author following our meeting!!  Marcy even found a mistake in the book and he commended her for seeing something that he and the editors missed.

Here are the club members - Marcy, Ruby and Hanna (and moms):

I get to select for Feb so we are reading two Newbery classics - Sarah, Plain and Tall and From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs Basil E Frankweiler.  (I had to choose from what was available in the library in multiple copies.)

PS Carla - can you spot the Flat Stacys in the first photo?

No comments: